December 24, 1833
State of Tennessee )
Monroe County )
Personally appeared before David Russell, Esq., one of the Justices of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, for said County of Monroe, John Fergus, aged 81 years, who being duly sworn deposeth and saith as follows, in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.
That he was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, on Sept. 1st 1752. He has in his possession a record of his age, taken from his fathers family records and none other. He was living in what was then called "New Acquisition" now York District, South Carolina, when called into service; and served so well as a memory much impaired by agreeables him to state, as follows. He volunteered in every case, and in no instance, as he thinks, rec'd a discharge in writing; but those with whom he served were merely discharged verbally, as their time expired.
In December, he thinks of 1775, he volunteered as a private of Infantry, in said "New Acquisition District," under Capt. John Anderson, who was under, he thinks, Genl. Richardson, to go against the tories in 96 District So. Ca. They marched on towards the Congaree, and in 96 came upon a Camp of Tories, and took them prisoners. What the Genl. did with the tories he cannot tell. Some sort of capitulation, he thinks, was made. Applicant with the company of said Anderson returned home having been engaged at least six weeks. Sometime afterwards, he cannot say how long; but a few weeks before Genl. Ash was defeated at brier creek in 1779, he volunteered for 3 months in the Cavalry against British and tories under Capt. Wm. Byars and Major Ross. Two or three days after they started Major Ross became dissatisfied with the wagonmaster, on account of his intemperance, and appointed applicant in this stead. 24 wagons with provisions and one with ammunition were put under his care. They went on thro' 96 Dist., and crossed the Savannah at Augusta the Cavalry having left the wagons in 96 and passed on to Brier Creek where they were defeated. The wagons went on rapidly, and camped within 18 miles of Brier Creek the night of the battle, News having reached applicant of the battle, he returned with the wagons and reached Augusta, about forty miles, thesucceeding night- then crossed the river and camped above Augusta. He was engaged in laying in supplies & for a greater part of the balance of his term and was encamped with the wagons on the river when his term of 3 months expired.
How long afterwards, he cannot exactly remember; but the winter before the fall of Charleston in 1780 he volunteered to go to the relief of that City for a term of 3 months as a private of Infantry. He dis [does] remembers his Captn for, as soon as he volunteered, he was appointed Quartermaster to Col: ____ Carson's Regiment and served his term out in that capacity. They marched directly for Charleston and encamped at the 10 mile spring, in 10 miles of Charleston. The British, though imported, having came to Charleston while he was there. as before remarked never recd a discharge.
Some time afterwards, and the night after the defeat at Ramshower's Mill, he volunteered for 3 months, in the Cavalry under Capt. Howe, he thinks, under Col. Carson. They abided Sumpters Command in and marched down through York and Chester Districts. He was in the engagement at the Hanging Rock, where Capt Martin whom he fought under, was shot through the side, of which, in a few days he died. He was engaged this time at least four months. He served in all 11 1/2 months- Ten weeks as a private of Infantry- 3 months as wagon master 3 months as Quartermaster- and 4 months as a private of Cavalry.
He was, in consideration of his services, last recited, elected from New Acquisition Dist. So. Ca. to the next succeeding State Legislature. He was no candidate, and did not know, till late the 1st day of the election that he was to be voted for. The legislature assembled at Jacksonborough on the Edisto River, about 40 miles above Charleston. John Rutledge being then Govr. Never received a commission as wagon or Qwr. master. Applicant always went into service from said "New Acquisition Dist." where he lived till 1775. He then moved into Wilkes County Georgia [crossed out on original] about one year after the close of the Revolutionary War; he then moved into Wilkes County Georgia, where he lived till 1798, then moved into Rutherford County, No Carolina and resided one or two years, then moved into Haywood County N.Ca. where he remained till about two years ago when he came into said County of Monroe, where he now resides. The following persons are at present his neighbors and can testify as to his character for honesty and their belief in his services as a Revolutionary Soldier., viz Hugh Ghormley, John Strutton, William Roddy, & Samuel Roddy.
He has no documentary widower and knows of no one whose testimony he can procure who can testify as to his services. He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the Agency of any State.
He furthermore states that he is entirely unable by reason of his bodily infirmity to attend in Court.
John Fergus
Sworn to and subscribed this 24th day of December 1833 before me David Russell, Justice of the Peace

Top of Page

Return to George's Genealogical Research Filing Cabinet

Sincerely, George Baumbach, Email:

©1997,1998 George A. Baumbach, All Rights Reserved