Colonial Pettipool-Poole-P'Poole Families
William, son of Seth and Martha, was listed on Halifax County, Virginia poll list in 1768, the same year his father gave him title to 580 acres of the Aaron's Creek plantation (169) in exchange for his support in their old age.
Seth Pettypool, planter of Halifax County to his son, William Pettypool of same, for love and affection, 580 acres on Aaron's Creek whereon said Seth lives...the whole estate both real and personal with all estate right, title and interest. William will maintain Seth and his wife, Martha in a plentiful and decent manner. Signed: Seth Pettypool; witnesses: William Stokes, Richard Jones, Thomas Williams, Evan Owen; 14 October 1768; recorded: 17 November 1768
He married 04/09/1772 Halifax County, Virginia to Sarah ?Tynes (170). William sold 266 acres on Aaron's Creek in 1770 (171). William was listed in surveys of Halifax County in 1771 with 706 acres on Aaron's Creek (172).
William Pettypool and Haden Pryor of Halifax County, to James Jones of Granville, County, North Carolina, 210 acres in Halifax County, bounded by William Pettypool, Pryor's spring branch, Aarons Creek, Pryor's fish dam, Reedy fork; signed: William (X) Pettypool, Haden Pryor, Sarah (X) Pettypool; witness: Obadiah Overby, Benjamin (X) Pettypool, Peter Overby; 7 January 1777, recorded: 19 June 1777. Sarah, wife of William, reliquished dower rights.
William PettyPool of Halifax County, to Haden Pryor of Halifax County, 5.75 acres of land in Halifax County, bounded by Aarons Creek, Pryors Spring branch; signed: William (X) PettyPool; witness: Peyton (TA) Tally, Benjamin (X) PettyPool, Martha (M) PettyPool; 12 June 1773, recorded: 17 June 1773
He was in the militia in 1777 (rank of Ensign, i.e., the flag bearer) (173). William was on the 1785 heads of families Tax list in the district of John P. Smith, Halifax County, Virginia, with a family of 8 whites. He was also on the 1787 and 1782 tax lists of Halifax County.
William's estate settlement for land on Aaron's Creek can be found in Halifax County, Virginia in 1813, and it names sons Caldwell (born c1775-94, married 01/21/1808 Granville County, North Carolina to Martha “Patsy” Pettypool, daughter of Benjamin and Rhoda Overby Pettypool), William Jr (married 08/15/1814 Mecklenburg County, Virginia Jane Talley), Allen T. (born 07/20/1786, married 03/15/1813 Mecklenburg County, Virginia to Sarah Pettypool, daughter of Benjamin and Rhoda Overby Pettypool), John E. (born 1780-90 Halifax County, Virginia, married 07/14/1814 Mecklenburg County, Virginia to Frances Blanks), Capt. Stephen T. (born before 1775 - died 07/24/1857 married 12/24/1795 Milley Gregory), Seth (born c1774 died 1835 Trigg County, KY married first to Nancy Pettypool, daughter of Benjamin and Rhoda Overby Pettypool, married second on 10/27/1806 Halifax County, North Carolina to Elizabeth Wilson), Elizabeth (died before 1813, married Sylvester Overbey), Martha “Patsy” (married John Wilbourn), and Rebecca (married 12/02/1812 Thomas Staples) (174).
(169) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 7, p. 270, In: Halifax County Virginia Deeds 1767-1772, In: (1989) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 7, 1773-1775, TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 22. [return]
(170) The Pettypool-Thrift Genealogy: Being the Direct Ancestral Lineage of Luther Herbert Poole III and John Wesley Poole" by Herbert Leslie Poole, privately published, Summerfield, NC 1985 [return]
(171) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 8, p. 86, In: (1989) Halifax County Virginia Deeds 1767-1772, TLC Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL, p. 47. [return]
(172) Halifax County, Virginia Deed Book 9, pp. 301-305, In: Chiarito MD (1992) Magazine of Virginia Genealogy 30, p. 71. [return]
(173) Halifax County, Virginia Court of Pleas Book 9, pp. 233-234 [return]
(174) Halifax Co., VA Court of Pleas Book 24, pp. 411-413 [October Court 1813] [return]
Sincerely, George Baumbach, Email:
© 1997, 1998, 1999 George A Baumbach, All Rights Reserved