Makes 1 loaf
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg -- beaten
- 1½ cups bran flakes -- rolled lightly
- 1 cup dried apricots -- chopped, soaked in
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup nut meats -- coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Add the bran and the apricot-buttermilk mixture.
When buttermilk has been almost absorbed, add the nut meats and the sifted dry ingredients. Mix well and put in a lightly buttered and floured pan (9×5×3).
Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1¼ hours.