Frank Niemeir's bio
- Sept. 2008 to present: Retired from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, pursuing freelance, entrepreneurial
and music interests. Currently focusing on web development.
- 1987 to 2008: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Staff photographer from August 1987 to September 2008. Variety of duties, including having helped on the
photo desk editing. 1994 Georgia Associated Press Photo of the Year, 1990 Georgia AP
Color Sports Photo of the Year. 1991 Runner-up
Georgia Photographer of the Year. Winner in
Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar contest, workshop leader on
shooting sports. 1996 Speaker at the Ohio News Photographers Association
annual convention. Covered World Series,
Super Bowls, 1996 Olympics, Holyfield heavyweight title fight, the Masters,
Final Four, 1988 Democratic Convention, displaced people in The Sudan.
- 1981 to 1987: The Kansas City Times
- Staff photographer, interim photo editor and fill-in photo desk editor. 1987
Missouri Photographer of the Year. Placed in top 10
portfolios Photographer of the Year final judging round in the 43rd annual Pictures of the
Year. Award of excellence Society of Newspaper Design. Speaker at The University of Kansas Fritz Conference. Covered 1982 and 1985 World Series, political conventions,
Final Four, the first Farm Aid concert, drought in Texas, changing face of Mexico.
- 1978 to 1981: The Simi Valley (Calif) Enterprise
- Photo editor, overseeing staff of two. The paper won
"Best of Photojournalism" for all circulation categories in 1982
from the California Newspaper Publishers Association for work
done in 1981. Won
First Place General News/Documentary Photo in the
38th Annual Pictures of the Year.
1979 runner-up and 1980 second place winner in the
National Press Photographers Association Region-10
Photographer of the Year. Winner in California Press Photographers
Association, Suburban Newspapers of America and UPI photo contests. Covered the first landing
of the Space Shuttle, Dodgers vs. Yankees World Series,
flight of the first solar powered airplane.
- 1971 to 1978: The Hutchinson (KS) News
- Staff photographer. Won two first places in a single month in the NPPA national monthly clip contest.
Covered 1976 Republican Convention, Farm Strike and tractorcade, tornados.
- National Association of Photoshop Professionals
- National Press Photographers Association
- Member since 1976. Associate Director of Region-6 1991-1993.
Helped publish regional magazines in Region-7 and Region-10
- Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar
- 16-year volunteer, retired in 2004. Came up with the idea for the contest to convert from slides to digital entries.
- Atlanta Press Club
- Member since 1994
- Born and raised in Hutchinson, Kansas. Staff
photographer for the Hutchinson High School
newspaper and yearbook. Attended three semesters of
Hutchinson Community Junior College
with an area of concentration in music theory, ear training and
music dictation. I was also a staff photographer for the
college newspaper and yearbook, and before all that I was
a paperboy for three years (and helped my brothers with their
paper routes six years before).