Comments from the IT2001 Discussion: May/June 2001
This page is a summary of comments received via e-mail after this discussion
was started on the Web Managers list. If you have something else to add or if
you recognize your comments and wish personal credit or want to have the item
removed from this page, please let me know. - Nancy
- The Assoc. always seems to need help with their computer system whichever
one they choose. This has been going on for years and years--ever since I
can remember--and when I was state pres. in '88-90.
- She has tried to belong to a branch but the Association lost not only her
monies but their whole branch as well.
- I appreciate your efforts in seeking to find a way to address need to upgrade
the information technology practices of the Association. I think you are correct
that there may not be much time to find some solution.
- After completing the State Officer Form online and noting (with horror)
the 7 pages emerging from the printer, I was ready to go back to the snail
- Reconciliations of the branch and Association membership lists have shown
the Association including MALs who had never joined the branch or had switched
affiliations years before, "losing" members who had joined over
the Web, and even dropping one Association life member who had been a branch
member for years.
- I could not learn why [switching to 9-digit zip codes] was not done across
the board in 1994 when the Association did a re-vamp of addresses but failed
to include the new USPS standards
- The Branch Officer Form was redesigned for 2001, but is still PAPER! There's
no good way for the state to "roll up" branch information to allow
state chairs to find counterparts in the branches.
- It is difficult to get accurate membership lists which means members aren't
getting the materials, ie Outlook, etc. like they should and then they
wonder why folks don't renew.
- I have been thinking lately that what would help as an organization is
to negotiate a national agreement with a computer company and offer maybe
2 or 3 packaged deals to our members at a really good price.
- Use Web forms for data entry that would
- Be displayed and submitted from any browser
- Generate a confirmation screen echoing the data entered
- Provide a means for the user to correct or at least overwrite information
after the initial submittal.
- With appropriate access, provide a means to view/download the data at
- Set up a way to get reports on demand through the Web or a voice mail system.
These could be mailed (e-mail or paper) or FAX'd.
- A standard "Branch Report Form" with the current membership
list (in a format that could be printed or uploaded to other programs if
delivery is electronic), EF/LAF totals to date for this year, EF/LAF 5-year
history, names EF/LAF "donors/major donors" for this year (so
the branch could send out thank you notes or otherwise provide recognition).
- Lists of MALs based on the zip codes in a branch's geographic coverage
area. Could be used for invitations to special events and voter education
IT2001 Home Page
Last updated: 20-Jun-01