Osage County Historical Geography
As early as 1818 Protestant settlers from Virginia and Tennessee
had settled in the area. Gasconade County was formed in 1820,
from Franklin County. In 1841 Osage County was formed. A booklet
has been published, available at the Missouri Historical Society,
in Columbia MO, that provides a detailed description of the county
and its towns. Other sources of information: History of Missouri,
published by Goodspeed Publishing Company, in 1889.
- Argyle: 3 miles south of Koeltztown on the Maries Co. line,
founded in late 1890's.
- Aud: Southeast of Chamois 9 miles, named for Joseph Aud. Junction
HH, 235 and 263.
- Babbtown: North of Meta, Jackson Twp. Location of Methodist
Meeting House 1858. Existing at time of Civil War, German Evangelical
Lutheran Church, 1873.
- Bailey's Creek: Had a post office at one time, northeast of
- Belle: Established in 1902, catholic mission in 1910. On the
Gasconade river, most of the town is in Maries County.
- Bode: Location of Methodist Meeting House 1867. five acres
land given by Charles H. Burnett and Martha, and Phillip Bode
and Wilelmine, to Trustees of Methodist Episcopal Church, NE corner
of NY qtr, of NE qtr of Sec 23 Tep 45 R8.
- Boger's Store: (Hope) Simon Boger built first store, in 1859.
- Bonnots Depot.
- Bonnots Mill: (Dauphine), named from Felix Bonnot, on Missouri
river. Methodist Meeting House 1910.
- Brush Creek: Near Rich Fountain, site of grist mill built
by Sandford Backues. prior to 1830.
- Byron: Southern part of county. Church established in 1867,
Methodist Meeting House, 1876.
- Cadet Creek: (Pronounced Caddy Creek)
- Castle Rock: On the Osage River. Founded by George W. Bloomer.
- Cave Spring: Home of Adolphus Menges, 3rd site of Osage County
Court, 4 miles, west southwest of present day Linn. Location of
Methodist Meeting house 1842.
- Cedar Creek: Location of Methodist Meeting House 1854. (1/2
acre, southern part of Lot 4, NE qtr Sec 3 Twp 43N R 8W.
- Chamois: Named by Morgan Harbor, settled early abt 1818, by
families from VA, town laid out in 1856 by James Shobe. Methodist
Meeting House 1870. River and railroad town, Junction K, MO 110,
and 89. Twp 45N R8W.
- College Hill:
- Cooper Hill: Near the Gasconade Co. Line, on Highway FF, on
the Gasconade River. Location of earl ferry.
- Cote Sans Dessein: (French for "hill with design")
at the mouth of the Osage River, (north bank of the Missouri River.)
Trading post for Osage, Shwanee and Delaware Indians, during the
French occupation of Missouri.
- Crook: Intersection of Hwy 89 and HH.
- Dauphine: (Bonnot's Mill) From French Village, Town laid out
in 1852 by Felix Bonnot, renamed Bonnot's Mill.
- Deer: South of Chamois, Location of Methodist Meeting House,
1867. Twp 45N R8W Sec 27, Junction K and County road 319/315.
- Deer Creek: Another name for town of Deer, named for the Creek
that runs near the town. Location of early German Evangelical
- Dry Ridge Church: Location of Methodist Meeting House, 1866.
Near Gasconade Co. line, north of Hwy 50, near Boeger's Store,
present day Hope.
- Feuersville: A Post-office.
- The Flat Neighborhood: Outside Linn.
- Flora: Post office.
- Folk: Named in 1904 for Joseph W. Folk, Governor of Missouri.
Southwest corner of county.
- Frankenstein: Location of Our Lady of Help (Mari Hilf, 1863)
Catholic Church, settled by Germans. Three miles from Isabell,
8 miles northwest of linn.
- Fredericksburg: Near Gasconade county line.
- Freeburg: Origionally town of Engelbert, named from store
owner and postmaster Engelbert Franke., became Freeburg in 1888.
Located on Highway 63 north of Maries County Line.
- Freedom: On Hwy 50, 8 miles east of Linn. Post office.
- French Village: Opposite Cote Sans Dessin, later Dauphine,
near present day Bonnots Mill. Location of Capt. Bennetts store.
Earlier LaPlante, had settled. End came during flood of 1844,
when Augustus Menges, its last resident, removed contents of his
store. (from History of Bonnot's Mill)
- Gascondy: Near the Maries Co. line.
- Hope: Near Morrison, near Gasconade Co. line, 7 miles northeast
of Linn. (See Boeger's Store) Post Office changed to Hope in 1897.
- Isbell, Isbell Station, McKnight: 3.5 miles north of Bonnot's
Mill, 3 miles west of Frankenstein.
- Indian Creek: Location of Methodist Meeting House 1858. South
eastern part of county.
- Jersey: Between Byron and Freeburg.
- Judge: Southeast of Linn (approximately 5 miles) on Route
CC. Possibly named for Andrew J. Branson (b. 1804, d.1895), a
judge of the Osage County courts, whose home was located there
and is where he was buried. At one time there was a general store,
and possibly, a post office.
- Kiddridge: Post office 7.5 miles east of Linn. (GAZETTEER
OF MISSOURI, p. 412.)
- Koeltztown: Named after developer, merchant and Postmaster
August Koeltz. Location of St. Boniface Catholic Church.
- Lane: Between Potts and Useful. Methodist Meeting House 1909.
- Linn: Established as County Seat in 1843, originally populated
by non-Germans. St. George's Catholic Church organized in 1867.
Methodist Meeting House, 1877. Called the "Mile Long City",
Linn is laid out in the tradition of the "String Cities"
of Germany. A pattern familiar to early towns in Osage County.
- Linnwood: Ten miles east of Linn, first called Stony Point,
then Linnwood, then Ryors, named for R. Steel Ryors, attorney,
- Lisletown: Post office, established in 1831, on the left at
the mouth of the Maries river on the Osage River. Founder, Benjamin
Lisle. Adolph Menger, from Mainz, established a store. Included
on map made by Nicholas Hess.
- Loose Creek: First Court held at home of Thomas Robinson,
on Loose Creek. Origionally called "Russelville", Catholic
Church (Immaculate Conception, 1847) at present day Loose Creek,
referred to as "Providence Church".
- Luystown: (Pronounced Louis Town). Named by Andre Luys.
- Medora (St. Aubert) Origionally called Buchannan. Early settlement
named for wife of Joseph Morrow, grew with advent of railroad,
which changed its name to St. Aubert.
- Meta: Located near the Miller, Maries County line. Founded
in early 1900, location of St. Cecelia Catholic Church.
- Mint Hill: On crest of a hill, 14 miles northeast of Linn.
Settled before civil war, Methodist Meeting House, 1873. County
road 232 nr HH.
- Mount Ariel: Location of Methodist Meeting House, 1858. South
eastern part of county nr Hwy 89.
- New Helvetica: 2 August 1844 Ship Albany from Harve to New
York brought from Switzerland a communal group of settlers. Brought
land from Dr. Bruns, on the Maries river South East of New Westphalia
(Sec20 Twp 43N R10W). By 1850 the leaders had died and group moved
- New Westphalia: On the banks of the Maries River. Settled
in 1834 by German immigrant families from Westfalen. Some were
Protestant, Clarenbach, Zur Mrgrde and Hofius. Flooding caused
original settlement to be moved up the hill. Where St. Joseph
Catholic Church was built. Fr. Meinkmann installed as pastor,
on November 24, 1837 (Sacred Heart Sesq. p. 2).
- Owen's Mill: Between Koenig and Fuersville.
- Peachland: Family home of Tillman Agee, Osage County pioneer,
about 7 miles northeast of Linn. Mr. Agee was a Baptist preacher.
"The farm home now occupied by the Emerson Lemmel family
and owned by Mrs. Don Matthews, near Linn, is the site of the
post office and village known in the past as "Peachland".
abt 1965, Miss Mantle's history of Osage County.
- Pilot Knob:
- Pointer's Creek: Location of Methodist Meeting House 1860,
organized Dec 1945 by Rev. Fletcher Wells, first members, D. M.
Lambeth wife Nancy, William North wife, and Jesse Miller. Land
donated 1860 by Nathan Orme and wife Nancy and William E. Wheeler
and wife Ninerva. acre land Sec 26 Twp 43 R 8, east half of northwest
- Potts: Junction of Hwy 50 and 89.
- Quebec: Located in Osage County, "Quebec" is given
as place of residence of both Dora E. Phelps daughter of John
H. Phelps, Quebec, and for Samantha Branson, Quebec, in 1889 marriage
to Lee Phelps of Linn. (History of Osage Co., p. 671)
- Rich Fountain: Jucntion Hwy U & E. Location of Sacred
Heart Catholic Church. All weather spring, attracted early settlers.
German's came about 1840's, considered a Bavarian Settlement,
although Jacob Struempf family was from the Rheinland.
- Richland: Location of Methodist Meeting House 1888.
- Russelville: The original name for the settlement at Loose
- Ryors: "The small community of Ryors is located about
three miles off of Highway 50 on Route N. the town was first known
as Stony Point, as so was the school, established on 9 Feb 1852."
OCHS Newsletter Apr 1996, article. Named for R. Steele Ryors,
State Senator 1885 to 1892.
- St. Aubert: Named by Railroad, see Medora. Twp 45N R8W, sec
19, on County road 430, Railroad Town.
- Stony Point: Present day Ryors, first known as Stoney Point,
OCHS Newsletter Apr 1996. "The school, established on 9 Feb
1852, first teacher of record, J. K. Kidd." Methodist Meeting
- Struempf's Settlement: German immigrant Johann T. Struepmf
had 9 sons and 3 daughters. They arrived New Orleans, June 1840
on Ship JOHANN GEORGE, from Serm/Angermund, on the Rhein River,
near Duisenburg. He had purchased land earlier from John and Nancy
Burns. Bavarian families arriving on the Ship APOLLO, settled
nearby, in what is present day Rich Fountain.
- Summerfield: Southern part of county, near Maries County,
settled in 1860's.
- Swanee Creek:
- Swan Creek: Location of 2nd Court of Osage County (1841),
at home of Elijah White.
- Triumph: Southeast corner of the county.
- Useful: Near the Gasconade Co. line on Hwy 50, 10 miles east
of Linn. Methodist Meeting House 1877.
- Van Buren: Settled from families from the town of Westphalia,
just north of Rich Fountain, 5 miles south of Linn. Location of
Methodist Meeting House, 1838.
- Vosholl: Six miles southeast of Bonnot's Mill, on W near Sec
26 T44N R9W.
- Welcome: Northwest of Freedom, 7 miles northeast of Linn.
- Westphalia: On Highway 63, location of St. Joseph Catholic