Teddy's Apple Cake
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a nine-inch angel-food tube pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon and soda.
- Beat the oil and sugar together in electric mixer until well blended and smooth.
[The original recipe said to have the mixer do this beating while you assemble
all the other ingredients, but since I don't have a big mixer, I just wing it
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the oil and sugar, and beat until the mixture
- Stir the dry ingredients into the batter.
- Add the apples, walnuts, and raisins, and stir to blend.
- Turn the mixture into the angel-food pan. Bake one hour and 15 minutes or
- Cool in the pan before turning out.
- Serve at room temperature. Good with vanilla ice cream!
Note: Original recipe called for Delicious apples. Pink Lady apples
Source: New York Times Magazine, September
30, 1973, p. 74.
Contact: Nancy Shoemaker, email@example.com
Back to Index