The Saga of the Remodeling of the Family Room
The planning for the remodeling of the family room began early in the year
(1998) - to change it from a dark room with scant natural light to a bright
and sunny room. After much discussion we contacted Jack Powell who
does high quality work and who has done work for us before. He confirmed
that what we wanted could be done: lift the ceiling and make it a
cathedral ceiling, put in 3 skylights, put up sheet rock on the walls (which
we will paint white) instead of the paneling we now have, put in French
doors instead of the present sliding glass doors and knock out part of
the wall next to the fireplace and put in a ceiling-to-floor window.
In addition we decided to put in a hardwood floor and on one of the walls
we will put in built-in bookcases and cabinets.
Because of our busy schedule this spring, the date for Jack to start
was set for June 22nd. To reduce the cost, Bruce told Jack
that we would strip the room completely: removing furniture, all
the paneling, moulding, baseboards, etc. While we were at it,
we decided to redo the green room (sunroom) ceiling with new sheet rock.
So that room had to be emptied as well of all its furniture.
Before we started, we took pictures. Click here to see
the "before" pictures:
Click here for Stage one of the
Click here for Stage two of the
Click here for Stage three of the construction.
Click here for Finished Room.
Back to Bruce and Helen's