Richard Winston: Resume
Richard B. Winston,
8411 48'th Ave
College Park Md. 20740
Software and Software Guides
- Ground water modeling (especially MODFLOW and MODFLOW related programs).
- Programming (C++, Object Pascal, Fortran)
- Aquifer testing
- Ground water monitoring
- Surface water monitoring
- University of Maryland, 1994, Ph.D. Geology (hydrogeology)
- University of Illinois, 1986, Ph.D. Geology (paleobotany)
- University of Illinois, 1982, M.S. Botany
- West Virginia University, 1980, B.S., Geology
- West Virginia University, 1980, A.B., Biology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon (geology honorary)
- Beta Beta Beta (biology honorary)
Awards And Scholarships
- Phillips Scholarship, 1978-79
- Geology Field Camp Scholarship, 1979
- W.V.U. Achievement Scholarship, 1979-80
- Tarr Award (outstanding graduating senior in geology), 1980
- Graduation magna cum laude from West Virginia University, 1980
- National Science Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, 1980-82, 83-84
- Sigma Xi Grant-in-Aid-of-Research, 1984
- National Research Council, Resident Research Associate at the U.S. Geological Survey, 1986-87
- 3.9 (out of 4) undergraduate GPA
- 3.5 graduate GPA
- 1430 GRE score
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Hydrologist, U.S. Geological Survey, 1998-
- Consultant to Argus Interware 1997-1998
- Asst. Professor, Dept. of Geology and Geophysics, Louisiana State University, 1994-1997
- Independent Consultant on the Design of Barney Circle Wetland, 1994
- Alabama Geological Survey, 1987-1991
- Resident Research Associate, U.S. Geological Survey, 1986-87
- Groundwater modeling
- Geological Society of America
- American Geophysical Union
- The Society of Wetland Scientists
- Winston, R.B., 2000, Graphical User Interface for MODFLOW, Version 4: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 00-315, 27 p.
- Winston, R.B., 1999, Upgrade to MODFLOW-GUI: Addition of MODPATH, ZONEBDGT, and additional MODFLOW packages to the U.S. Geological Survey MODFLOW-96 Graphical-User Interface: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 99-184, 63 p.
- Winston, R.B., 1997. Problems Associated with Reliably Designing Groundwater-Dominated Constructed Wetlands. Wetland Journal. 9(1): 21-25.
- Winston, R.B., 1996. Design of an Urban, Groundwater-Dominated, Wetland. Wetlands, 16(4); 524-531..
- Winston, R.B., 1994. Models of the geomorphology, hydrology, and development of domed peat bodies. Geological Society of America Bulletin 106:1594-1604.
- Winston, R.B., 1993. Reassessment of the evidence for primary fusinite and degradofusinite, Organic Geochemistry, v. 20: 209-221.
- Winston, R.B., 1991. Preliminary report on coal quality trends in Upper Pottsville formations coal groups and their relationships to coal resource development, coalbed methane occurrence, and geologic history in the Warrior coal basin, Alabama. Alabama Geological Survey, Circular 152, 53 p.
- Winston, R.B., 1991. Coal quality of the Mary Lee coal group and its relationship to coal resource development, coalbed methane, and geologic history in the Warrior coal field, Alabama, in Peters, D.C., (editor) Geology in Coal Resource Utilization. American Association of Petroleum Geologists, TechBooks, Fairfax, Va. p. 369-388.
- Winston, R.B., 1991. A structurally preserved, Lower Pennsylvanian flora from the New Castle coal bed of Alabama. Alabama Geological Survey, Circular 157, 21 p.
- Winston, R.B., 1990. Vitrinite reflectance of Alabama's bituminous coal. Alabama Geological Survey, Circular 139, 54 p.
- Pashin, J.C., Ward, W.E., II, Winston, R.B., Chandler, R.V., Bolin, D.E., Hamilton, R.P., and Mink, R.M., 1990. Geologic Evaluation of Critical Production Parameters for Coalbed Methane Resources, Part II, Black Warrior basin, Annual report. Geological Survey of Alabama, Gas Research Institute Contract No. 5087-214-1594. 177 p.
- Winston, R.B., 1990. Implications of paleobotany of Pennsylvanian-age coal of the central Appalachian basin for climate and coal-bed development. Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 102: 1720-1726.
- Winston, R.B., 1990. Coal-paleobotany of the Mary Lee coal bed of the Pennsylvanian "Pottsville" Formation near Carbon Hill, Walker County, Alabama, in Gastaldo, R.A., Demko, T.M., and Liu, Y. (editors) Carboniferous Coastal Environments and Paleocommunities of the Mary Lee Coal Zone, Marion and Walker Counties, Alabama. Geological Society of America, Southeastern section, guidebook for field trip VI, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, p. 66-72.
- Winston, R.B., 1989. Identification of plant megafossils in Pennsylvanian-age coal. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 57: 265-276.
- Winston, R.B., 1988. Paleoecology of Middle Pennsylvanian-age peat-swamp plants in Herrin Coal, Kentucky, U.S.A. International Journal of Coal Geology, 10: 203-238.
- Epsman, M.L., Wilson, G.V., Pashin, J.C., Tolson, J.S., Ward, W.E. II, Chandler, R.V., Winston, R.B., Richter, K.E., Hamilton, R.P., and Rheams, L.J., 1988. Geologic Evaluation of Critical Production Parameters for Coalbed Methane Resources, Part II, Black Warrior basin, Annual report. Geological Survey of Alabama, Gas Research Institute Contract No. 5087-214-1544. 178 p.
- Winston, R.B., 1986. Characteristic features and compaction of plant tissues traced from permineralized peat to coal in Pennsylvanian coals (Desmoinesian) from the Illinois Basin. International Journal of Coal Geology, 6: 21-41.
- Winston, R.B., 1984. The Upper Pennsylvanian conifer, Walchia garnettensis: Structure and affinities. Palaeontographica, 194B, p. 97-108
- Winston, R.B., 1983, A Late Pennsylvanian upland flora in Kansas: Systematics and environmental implications. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 40: 5-31.
- Winston, A., and Winston, R.B., 1980, Unperturbed Molecular Dimensions of Polyacrylamide in Water. Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Letters Edition, 18: 119-122.
Recent Presentations at Professional Meetings
- Winston, R.B., 1995. Examples of the Uses and Limitations of the Hydrogeomorphic Classification of Wetlands. Geological Society of America, New Orleans, Abstracts with Program 1995 Annual meeting, p. A-258.
- Winston, R.B., 1995. Hydrologic Design of an Urban Groundwater-Dominated Wetland: Results and Lessons, American Geophysical Union, Baltimore, Eos - Spring Meeting Supplement, v. 76, p. 129.
- Winston, R.B., 1995. Effects of vegetation Differences on Hydrology in a Longleaf Pine Savanna. Geological Society of America New Orleans, Abstracts with Program 1995 Annual meeting, p. A-307.
- Winston, R.B., 1993. The formation of deceptive hydrologic gradients in a marsh by transient responses to evapotranspiration. American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, Eos - Fall Meeting Supplement, v. 74 p. 275.
- Winston, R.B., and Prestegaard, K.L., 1993. Transient Responses to Evapotranspiration in Marsh and Forest Edge, American Geophysical Union, Baltimore, Eos - Spring Meeting Supplement, v. 74. p. 144.
- Winston, R.B., and Prestegaard, K.L., 1992. Seasonal and transient changes in hydrology of a non-tidal marsh, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland, U.S.A., American Geophysical Union, Montreal, Eos - Spring Meeting Supplement, v. 73. p. 131