Saturday, July 15
Tin Can Fish Band. Steambell Beer Works, 1717 Oak Lake Boulevard. 7-10 p.m.
The Big Payback, Pete Curry, DJ Prolific. Broadberry. 9 p.m.
Friday, July 21
Tin Can Fish Band, Flashlight Tag. Tin Pan. 8982 Quioccasin Road. $10.
Screaming Females. Gallery 5. 8 p.m.
Saturday, July 22
Tin Can Fish Band. DJ's Rajun Cajun Patio, 309 N. Sycamore St., Petersburg. 8-11:30 p.m. Free.
A King and a Prince, Mad Skillz. Broadberry. 9 p.m.
Friday, July 28
People's Blues of Richmond, Jouwala Collective, Kid Brother. Broadberry. 9 p.m.
Lynyrd Skynyrd. Innsbrook.
JULY 2017 NEWS!!! It's become increasingly obvious that even just doing weekend shows, I am not keeping up with the listings, so I am going to throw in the towel. I don't get paid for this anyway!! Shows that intrigue me I'll list myself on the Facebook group page, but it's up to you to join that group and post your gigs. See below.
There is a Richmond Music Journal group page on Facebook where you all can join and post your own photos and gigs. There's many photos posted there that I've taken over the years or people gave to me. I don't "friend" musicians I only know through the Journal on my regular Facebook page because that's for the life I'm living now, but feel free to remember old times on the group page, and don't feel insulted if I don't friend you. Unless we spent a lot of time together at some point, I probably will not. But you can follow me on Twitter all you want: www.twitter.com/MarianeMatera, although you will be bored. I don't talk about music there.
The complete 11 years of print copies of the Richmond Music Journal are available on microfilm at the State Library of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University library for your researching pleasure. VCU is contemplating putting them online as .pdfs in 2016, so there's that.
The Richmond Music Journal is owned and operated by Mariane Matera since November 1993. The print version of the Journal, a monthly newspaper, was published from November 1993 to Spring 2005. Copyright Gypsy Publishing 1993.
We no longer review shows or CDs. Do not email asking to be interviewed or reviewed!!
- For clubs that have shows almost every night such as Ashland Coffee and Tea, Cary Street Cafe, The National, Balliceaux, and others, check their websites for more information. We usually list only from individual bands that still send their listings in to us.
- Ashland Coffee and Tea
- 100 N. Railroad Ave., Ashland, 798-1702
- 3166 W. Cary Street, 355-9330
- The Broadberry
- 2729 W. Broad Street, 804-353-1888
- The Camel
- 1621 W. Broad Street, 353-4901
- Canal Club
- 1545 E. Cary Street, 63-2582
- Capital Ale House, downtown
- 623 E. Main Street, 822-3072
- Cary Street Cafe
- 2631 W. Cary Street, 353-7445
Center of the Universe Brewing
11293 Air Park Road, 368-0299
Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream
3600 Forest Hill Avenue, 231-2030
- Garden Grove Brewery
- 3445 W. Cary Street
- Gus' Bar and Grill
- 2701 W. Broad Street, 612-9275
2408 Ownby Lane
Isley Brewing Company
1715 Summit Avenue
- JJ's Grille
- 10298 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen, 755-6229
2251 Old Brick Road, Glen Allen, 360-9240 (Short Pump)
- Kindred Spirits Brewing
12830 West Creek Parkway
- Legend Brewing Company
- 321, W. 7th Street, 232-8871
Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery
4100 Knolls Point Drive, Goochland. 314-4380
- The National
- E. Broad at 7th
- Poe's Pub
- 2706 E. Main Street, 648-2120
3438 Pump Road, Henrico, 364-9083
- Rumble Seat Grill
- 12912 Plaza Drive (beyond Short Pump), 784-2737
- Shady Grove Coffeehouse
- Unitarian Universalist Community Church, 11105 Cauthorne Road, Glen Allen, 355-2461
- Sine Irish Pub
- 1327 E. Cary Street, 649-7767
- Williamsburg Road between Laburnum Ave. and Masonic Lane
Steambell Beer Works
- 1717 Oak Lake Boulevard, Midlothian, 728-1876
2277 Dabney Road, 303-4336
Three Notch'd Brewing.
2930 W Broad Street.
The Tin Pan
- 8982 Quioccosin Road, 447-8189
- Tobacco Company
- 1201 E. Cary Street, 782-9555
- 29 Bollingbrook St., Olde Town Petersburg