- Saturday, Sept. 20
The Originial K.O.D.E. Harbor Blast. 5 p.m.
The Illibillys. Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery. 4 p.m.
King Solomon's Marbles. Cary Street Cafe. 10 p.m.-1:30 a.m. Free.
Loversville, The Highballers, Paulo Emilio Franco Londono, Andy Vaughan and the Driveline. Positive Vibe Cafe. 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 23
- Tin Can Fish Band. Positive Vibe Cafe. 6-8 p.m. Free.
Wednesday, Sept. 24
Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Innsbrook After Hours. $20.
Friday, Sept. 26
- Leftover Salmon featuring Bill Payne. The National. 8 p.m. $25.
Tin Can Fish Band. O'Toole's. 8:30 p.m.
Rebecca Frazier, Beer Ticks. St. Stephen's Church, 6000 Grove Ave. 5-8 p.m. Bluegrass bash.
Sunday, Sept. 28
Blue Line Highway. Strangeways Brewing. 1-4 p.m. Free.
Wednesday, Oct. 1
- Eli Young Band. Innsbrook. 630 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 4
Jack Williams. Shady Grove Coffeehouse. $15. 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Oct. 8
- Earth, Wind and Fire. Innsbrook. 6 p.m. $25.
Friday, Oct. 10
- The Illbillys. Wabi Sabi. 9 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 17
- The Illbillys. Short Pump Pour House.
Blue Line Highway. Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream. 8-10:30 p.m. Free.
Sunday, Oct. 19
Tin Can Fish Band. Weezie's. 3123 W. Cary. 8-11 p.m. Free.
Friday, Oct. 24
- Runner of the Woods. Hardywood Brewery. Featuring Nicholes Beaudoing of the Doc Marshalls. 5 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 31
King Solomon's Marbles. Cary Street Cafe. 10 p.m. Free.
Saturday, Nov. 1
Tin Can Fish Band. Licking Hole Craft Brewery. 4-7 p.m. Free.
- Appomattox Small Boat Harbor
- 1604 Fine Street, Prince George Co. Home of the Harbor Blast Concert Series in the summer.
- Ashland Coffee and Tea
- 100 N. Railroad Ave., Ashland, 798-1702
- 3166 W. Cary Street, 355-9330
Brew American Gastropub
36525 Centralia Road, Chesterfield
- Buffalo Wild Wings
- 1090 Virginia Center Parkway, Glen Allen, 553-9998
- Canal Club
- 1545 E. Cary Street, 63-2582
- Capital Ale House, downtown
- 623 E. Main Street, 822-3072
- Cary Street Cafe
- 2631 W. Cary Street, 353-7445
Center of the Universe Brewing
11293 Air Park Road, 368-0299
- Commercial Taphouse
- 111 N. Robinson St.
Crossroads Coffee and Ice Cream
3600 Forest Hill Avenue, 231-2030
- Gus' Bar and Grill
- 2701 W. Broad Street, 612-9275
2408 Ownby Lane
Isley Brewing Company
1715 Summit Avenue
- JJ's Grille
- 10298 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen, 755-6229
2251 Old Brick Road, Glen Allen, 360-9240 (Short Pump)
- Legend Brewing Company
- 321, W. 7th Street, 232-8871
Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery
4100 Knolls Point Drive, Goochland. 314-4380
- Martini Kitchen and Bubble Bar
- 1911 W. Main Street, 254, 4904
4800 Forest Hill Avenue, 233-1781
- Poe's Pub
- 2706 E. Main Street, 648-2120
3438 Pump Road, Henrico, 364-9083
Quaker Steak and Lube
8000 W. Broad Street, 217-9464
- Rumble Seat Grill
- 12912 Plaza Drive (beyond Short Pump), 784-2737
- Shady Grove Coffeehouse
- Unitarian Universalist Community Church, 11105 Cauthorne Road, Glen Allen, 355-2461
- Sine Irish Pub
- 1327 E. Cary Street, 649-7767
- Williamsburg Road between Laburnum Ave. and Masonic Lane
2277 Dabney Road, 303-4336
- The Camel
- 1621 W. Broad Street, 353-4901
- The National
- E. Broad at 7th
- Tobacco Company
- 1201 E. Cary Street, 782-9555
- 29 Bollingbrook St., Olde Town Petersburg
9/10/2014 -- Carbon Leaf has re-recorded and released 2004's "Indian Summer" as "Indian Summer Revisited," adding an acoustic element. They launched a nationwide tour Sept. 13 in Charlottesville with dates in Georgia, Mississippi, , Texas, Colorado, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maryland, and ending in Miami on Jan. 24., 2015.
The Trongone Band plays Thursdays at 10 p.m. at Cary Street Cafe.
Austin Green has joined Rattlemouth on guitar.
8/2/2014 -- Old-Time Jam with Tripp and Jenny Johnson is every Sunday, 3-5 p.m., at Cary Street Cafe.
7/31/2014 -- Jan Nichols & Friends play acoustic every Tuesday night, 4-7 p.m., at Cary Street Cafe.
7/22/2014 -- The Doug Fisher Acoustic is Wednesdays, 4-7 p.m., at Cary Street Cafe.
7/16/2014 -- Meade Skelton's YouTube channel. Video "Running on Empty" was filmed at the Courtney Road gas station in Glen Allen, and "Are You from Dixie?" was filmed on the porch of the Confederate Memorial Chapel.
7/5/2014 -- The Cato Foundation Shrimp Blast is Sept. 13 at Appomattox Small Boat Harbor.
7/4/2014 -- Acoustic Jam with Dave Shiflett is every Saturday from 2-5 p.m. at Cary Street Cafe.
6/3/2014 -- Latin funk band Hot Sweet Like plays the Tobacco Company every Friday from 5-7:30 p.m.. Enjoy a Mason jar cocktail of watermelon mint or ginger lemonade.
E-String Al and E Rock Acoustic play Fridays from 5-7:30 p.m. at Cary Street Cafe.
There is a Richmond Music Journal group page on Facebook where you all can join and post your own photos and gigs. There's many photos posted there that I've taken over the years or people gave to me. I don't "friend" musicians I only know through the Journal on my regular Facebook page because that's for the life I'm living now, but feel free to remember old times on the group page, and don't feel insulted if I don't friend you. Unless we spent a lot of time together at some point, I probably will not. But you can follow me on Twitter all you want: www.twitter.com/MarianeMatera, although you will be bored. I don't talk about music there.
The complete 11 years of print copies of the Richmond Music Journal are available on microfilm at the State Library of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University library for your researching pleasure.
The Richmond Music Journal is owned and operated by Mariane Matera since November 1993. The print version of the Journal, a monthly newspaper, was published from November 1993 to Spring 2005. Copyright Gypsy Publishing 1993.
We no longer review shows or CDs. Do not write asking to be interviewed or reviewed.