1. Make sure your pet wears an identification tag to enable him to be returned to you if lost.
2. To prevent destructive animal behavioral problems, make sure you enroll your new puppy or dog in behavioral training classes.
3. Animal behavioral problems can be health related. Make sure your pet has a complete medical exam by a veterinarian at least once a year.
4. Prepare for disasters. Make sure you have a plan for your pet in the event of hurricane, tornado, fire or flood.
5. Plan for your pet's future in case something happens to you.
6. Learn how to avoid dog bites, and how to prevent your dog from biting.
7. Have a heart, be smart and make sure your pet is spayed or neutered.