Taken around 1930, that's Elva on the left.
My grandmother, Zilla Elva Walter White (1905-1997), was an earthy, sharp-witted woman. She was definitely a person who believed that you should say what you mean and mean what you say. She raised four boys and she lived a full and rewarding life. She certainly had her rough times, but I think, as you will see from her poetry, she didn't let that stop her!
- This may outline the secret of her success.
- Hands can do so many different things.
I Have Four Sons
- She loved her boys, Lewis (my father), Robert, David and Paul.
Maybe You Do
- This one is certainly about my grandfather, who was none too secretive about his interest in other ladies.
Be Gay Awhile!
- Written in 1948, I think my grandma was finally over the breakup of her marriage.