From n@n.slo Fri Jul 03 23:28:46 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: NENSLO <n@n.slo>

Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 06:28:46 GMT

 

And then people wonder why I don't want to hang out with "subgeniuses."

These filksongs are so fucking lame, weak and pathetic I could puke.

I HATE YOU man.

 

From e/wbear@hibernia.ca Sat Jul 04 04:52:06 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: e/wbear@hibernia.ca (e/w bear)

Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 11:52:06 GMT

 

In article <359DDA93.456C@n.slo>, NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

 

> And then people wonder why I don't want to hang out with "subgeniuses."

> These filksongs are so fucking lame, weak and pathetic I could puke.

> I HATE YOU man.

 

Ahhh... but you ARE hanging out with them, aren't you? Not only that,

you're involved to the point you feel you have to hate at least one of

them. If my songs annoy you, don't read them. It's really that simple. On

the other hand, if getting me to hate you back is the name of the game,

then I'm afraid you're wasting your time. I have other fish to fry.

---

ewb

 

From drv1@concentric.net Sat Jul 04 10:54:59 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: David Voth <drv1@concentric.net>

Date: 04 Jul 1998 13:54:59 EDT

 

e/w bear wrote:

>

> In article <359DDA93.456C@n.slo>, NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

>

> > And then people wonder why I don't want to hang out with "subgeniuses."

> > These filksongs are so fucking lame, weak and pathetic I could puke.

> > I HATE YOU man.

>

> Ahhh... but you ARE hanging out with them, aren't you? Not only that,

> you're involved to the point you feel you have to hate at least one of

> them.

 

Weren't you going to do one about NENSLO's paintings?

 

Reverend David Voth

Amateur Mad Seismologist Clench

--

All Hail the Knights of Xenu RC5-64 Crypto Cracking Team!

We're "upstat" and growing fast.

See http://www.xenu.net/archive/events/KoX-rc5des/

 

From n@n.slo Sat Jul 04 11:58:37 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: NENSLO <n@n.slo>

Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 18:58:37 GMT

 

e/w bear wrote:

>

> In article <359DDA93.456C@n.slo>, NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

>

> > And then people wonder why I don't want to hang out with "subgeniuses."

> > These filksongs are so fucking lame, weak and pathetic I could puke.

> > I HATE YOU man.

>

> Ahhh... but you ARE hanging out with them, aren't you? Not only that,

> you're involved to the point you feel you have to hate at least one of

> them.

 

Oy yoy yoy! Out-logicked again! Oh the humiliation.

 

> If my songs annoy you, don't read them. It's really that simple.

 

It's not the songs themselves that annoy me - it's the fact that they

exist - that someone is squandering their talents, efforts and abilities

so far as to take some dumbass pop song and sit scratching the side of

their heads with a pencil eraser saying, " dwuh,... let me see... where

it says love, I'll say slack! and where it says you I'll say Bob! hyuck

hyuck! " For shits sake if you are going to write a song, write your

OWN song. Don't just take somebody else's work and change two words and

flatter yourself that you've done something intelligent or worthy. If

you are going to do that, why not re-write Lord of the Rings or Moby

Dick and just change half a dozen words so it's about the church of the

subgenius? Why not re-write the constitution and the bill of rights or

the fucking magna charta only changing it so it's about "Bob" and

slack! Why not just take every fucking christian hymn ever written and

where it says god say bob? Why not just take turds and shape them like

chocolates and call them candy? I'm not trying to get you to feel

anything about me - I'm trying to get you to wake up your slumbering

faculties and do something of YOUR OWN, not cheap pirating of somebody

else's work that makes the whole church look like a bunch of flabby

thick-lensed scifi con attendees dressing like Han Solo and singing

songs about Marian Zimmer Bradley to the tune of something from Grease

or Phantom of the Opera. It's degrading, idiotic, pathetic and lame. I

wrote a song myself, EVEN THE TUNE, called "Stick a "Bob" head on it."

It's about how BOBBIES think being a SUBGENIUS requires nothing more

than taking something somebody else did and sticking a fucking "Bob"

head on it and mailing it to Stang.

 

I DARE YOU TO DO SOMETHING ENTIRELY YOUR OWN JUST ONCE. Then you can go

back to sleep for the rest of your life.

 

From bobdiddley@aol.com Sat Jul 04 16:23:21 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: bobdiddley@aol.com (Bobdiddley)

Date: 4 Jul 1998 23:23:21 GMT

 

>NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

>

 

>It's not the songs themselves that annoy me - it's the fact that they

>exist - that someone is squandering their talents, efforts and abilities

>so far as to take some dumbass pop song and sit scratching the side of

>their heads with a pencil eraser saying, " dwuh,... let me see... where

>it says love, I'll say slack! and where it says you I'll say Bob! hyuck

>hyuck! " For shits sake if you are going to write a song, write your

>OWN song.

 

Not that I disagree with this notion, but as a writer of original songs, I feel

we are limited, in this text-only newsgroup, as to how we express the intended

tempo and melody of songs without a reference point. Hence, the MAD magazine

approach. Some of e-bear's parodies I didn't get, because I couldn't remember

the song he was parodying.

 

Bob Diddley

Last Bobtist Church of the Pretty Far North

"Pull the wool over your own eyes, eh?"

 

From e/wbear@hibernia.ca Sat Jul 04 17:52:04 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: e/wbear@hibernia.ca (e/w bear)

Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 00:52:04 GMT

 

In article <1998070423232100.TAA27670@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

bobdiddley@aol.com (Bobdiddley) wrote:

 

> >NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

> >

>

> >It's not the songs themselves that annoy me - it's the fact that they

> >exist - that someone is squandering their talents, efforts and abilities

> >so far as to take some dumbass pop song and sit scratching the side of

> >their heads with a pencil eraser saying, " dwuh,... let me see... where

> >it says love, I'll say slack! and where it says you I'll say Bob! hyuck

> >hyuck! " For shits sake if you are going to write a song, write your

> >OWN song.

>

> Not that I disagree with this notion, but as a writer of original songs,

I feel

> we are limited, in this text-only newsgroup, as to how we express the intended

> tempo and melody of songs without a reference point. Hence, the MAD magazine

> approach. Some of e-bear's parodies I didn't get, because I couldn't remember

> the song he was parodying.

>

which is why i stick (for the most part) to well known songs, unless I can

locate the wav files somewhere and post the URL.

---

ewb

 

From charliec@cybernex.net Sat Jul 04 16:37:00 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: TheCharlie <charliec@cybernex.net>

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:37:00 GMT

 

NENSLO wrote:

 

> For shits sake if you are going to write a song, write your

> OWN song. Don't just take somebody else's work and change two words and

> flatter yourself that you've done something intelligent or worthy. If

> you are going to do that, why not re-write Lord of the Rings or Moby

> Dick and just change half a dozen words so it's about the church of the

> subgenius? Why not re-write the constitution and the bill of rights or

> the fucking magna charta only changing it so it's about "Bob" and

 

Okay, okay. So, just so we get this straight, do you

want to do the Magna Carta or the Bill of Rights?

 

I mean.. this was your idea, so you get first dibs..

 

From e/wbear@hibernia.ca Sat Jul 04 17:14:13 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Leaving On A Saucer (an X-day ballad)

From: e/wbear@hibernia.ca (e/w bear)

Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 00:14:13 GMT

 

In article <359E8A53.6C5D@n.slo>, NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

 

> e/w bear wrote:

> >

> > In article <359DDA93.456C@n.slo>, NENSLO <n@n.slo> wrote:

> >

> > > And then people wonder why I don't want to hang out with "subgeniuses."

> > > These filksongs are so fucking lame, weak and pathetic I could puke.

> > > I HATE YOU man.

> >

> > Ahhh... but you ARE hanging out with them, aren't you? Not only that,

> > you're involved to the point you feel you have to hate at least one of

> > them.

>

> Oy yoy yoy! Out-logicked again! Oh the humiliation.

 

Standard mock the messenger reparte. Surely you can do better than that?

 

>

> > If my songs annoy you, don't read them. It's really that simple.

>

> It's not the songs themselves that annoy me - it's the fact that they

> exist - that someone is squandering their talents, efforts and abilities

> so far as to take some dumbass pop song and sit scratching the side of

> their heads with a pencil eraser saying, " dwuh,... let me see... where

> it says love, I'll say slack! and where it says you I'll say Bob! hyuck

> hyuck! "

 

Most of my songs are written at work, so it's not MY time I'm wasting.

Besides, who said I HAD any talent or abilities to waste? I make no claims

in that regard.

 

For shits sake if you are going to write a song, write your

> OWN song. Don't just take somebody else's work and change two words and

> flatter yourself that you've done something intelligent or worthy.

 

Wasn't aware that I WAS flattering myself. Maybe other's do, but that's up

to them. I can write my own songs of course, but then they wouldn't be

parodies and people couldn't sing along unless I posted the music. I could

do it on a website and post the URL, but why waste the effort when no one's

going to visit it? How many websites do you visit? Kevbob's and Felix's

are the only ones I bother with. The way I figure it, I've already paid my

internet dues. I operated a video conference for over a year and small

thanks I got for that. If you think the flames on usenet are hot try

keeping a flock of would-be sex-goddesses and their entourage happy. You

can keep the love saucers. I've been there.

 

If you are going to do that, why not re-write Lord of the Rings or Moby

> Dick and just change half a dozen words so it's about the church of the

> subgenius? Why not re-write the constitution and the bill of rights or

> the fucking magna charta only changing it so it's about "Bob" and

> slack! Why not just take every fucking christian hymn ever written and

> where it says god say bob? Why not just take turds and shape them like

> chocolates and call them candy?

 

Because it's already been done in spades. This entire religion is a

re-write, or hadn't you noticed? Did it occur to you that maybe it's THAT

aspect of the Church that I'm attempting to parody? There IS some

interesting philosophy underlying the Church... stuff with substance, but

when I start down that road I get: "You're doing it all wrong", or

something to that effect. No explanations offered, mind you, on how I

_ought_ to be doing it. No debate. No discourse. Mention Bob Dean or

Marshal McLuhan and you'll see what I mean. Few here have made any effort

to figure out what either of them were on about, and yet many feel free to

pass judgement based on some old vendetta that happened before they were

out of diapers. Hatfields and McCoys. Hillbilly hippies playing shoot the

revenooer.

 

I'm not trying to get you to feel

> anything about me - I'm trying to get you to wake up your slumbering

> faculties and do something of YOUR OWN, not cheap pirating of somebody

> else's work that makes the whole church look like a bunch of flabby

> thick-lensed scifi con attendees dressing like Han Solo and singing

> songs about Marian Zimmer Bradley to the tune of something from Grease

> or Phantom of the Opera. It's degrading, idiotic, pathetic and lame. I

> wrote a song myself, EVEN THE TUNE, called "Stick a "Bob" head on it."

> It's about how BOBBIES think being a SUBGENIUS requires nothing more

> than taking something somebody else did and sticking a fucking "Bob"

> head on it and mailing it to Stang.

 

I care squat what Stang or anyone else thinks of me and even less what joe

public thinks about our Church. If Stang hadn't started the Church someone

else would have and it would have been just as lame. As far as I'm

concerned, everything to come along since we first rubbed two sticks

together is a replay of the past. You can't get away from that fact

because it's the nature of the beast. It's why the offspring of cats look

like cats and not antelope. Nature has certain well worn themes and we

just happen to be one of them. Anyone alive today who flatters themselves

that they are doing something original and creative is fooling both

themselves AND their audience.

>

> I DARE YOU TO DO SOMETHING ENTIRELY YOUR OWN JUST ONCE. Then you can go

> back to sleep for the rest of your life.

 

I am the sum total of everything that preceeded me. The only thing that

sets me apart is that I recognize the fact. It's a discovery I made long

before I ever heard of the Church. What attracted me to the Church is that

there are others here who've also noticed that, and thus we share a common

bond. Frankly, it's individuals within the Church that I want to engage. I

don't feel particularly inspired to stand out above the noise or to make a

name for myself. There's plenty of others filling that niche. If I happen

to become famous for 15 minutes, don't blame me. I was just trying to have

some fun.

 

Frankly this whole fucking Church could disappear TOMORROW and it wouldn't

make a damn bit of difference to me because the people I care about would

bother to stay in touch and in time form a new Church. Call it "The Church

of the Survivors of Bob and Stuff." The name's not important, it's the

fact that you have a venue for pleasurable discourse and emotional growth.

I'm not interested in establishing my individuality or superiority at this

stage in my life. I'm already part of a viable real world clench of folks

who care about and love one another. I'm tribal. So are you or you

wouldn't be here.

 

Peace,

 

ebear