From Obnostic@erols.com Fri Jul 10 10:16:20 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Even Doktors Get The Blues

From: Steve Slack <Obnostic@erols.com>

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:16:20 -0400

 

Will you permit me to cry on your shoulders

about job shit for a moment? (Hey, at least

I warned you in advance so you could go to the

next post!)

 

Today I got a major ass reaming for calling

up a vendor to say I was placing an order BEFORE

I got a price, even though we weren't doing

competetive bidding, we're bought stuff from this

same vendor many times before and we were only

talking about $40 worth of materials. They even

told me what vendor to call!!

 

When I tried to protest they came back with the

tired old line about how if I fucked up something

this small, I would certainly do it on an order

of thousands of dollars of meterials, blah blah

bleat, and they were gonna nip it in the bud.

Basically they can't trust me to be responsible.

 

Now I ask you, if someone was breathing down

your neck, ready to jump all over your ass for

the slightest faux pas, could you function

adequately at your job? I would wager a guess

that you'd probably be so nervous all the time

that you'd end up fucking up even worse!!

 

Every day, or every other day, it's some kind of

shit with these bug-eyed Yosemite Sam acting

screwballs. They'll yell at you for the sake of

yelling at you and act like you're an idiot who

can never do anything right, just becuase you don't

jive with their Limbaugh-loving mentality. They

can fuck up left and right as long as they have

someone else to blame, usually me. And it

certainly doesen't help to be someone who fits

THEIR profile of the stereotypical 'faggot'.

 

Today's reaming included a big lecture on THEIR

concept of how businessmen operate, distilled

down to: They all lie and they all will fuck you,

along with some absurd generalization that this

is how all the 'librules' in California operate.

When I tried to tell them that not all people

are like this, they said "Mabye 'cause you only

trade with your own family." They don't seem

to understand that their shithead behavior is an

open invitation to be fucked over.

 

Just the other day I got teased for saving paper

for recycling. "Are you getting paid for it?"

It's part of that whole mentality that if something

doesn't DIRECTLY result in making money, it's not

worth doing.

 

What's the sense in making a pile of money if

there's no joy in it? But that's how these

sick twisted motherfuckers operate. I don't know

how people can live like this, in this constant

atmosphere of paranoia and defensiveness and mistrust

and fuck-them-before-they-fuck-you. No wonder they're

all getting ulcers and heart attacks and cancer and

obesity and relieving stress by drinking heavily,

shooting guns, and brawling. Oh, but it's all the

fault of the 'librules', and the 'niggers', and the

'mentally defective welfare-cheating college weirdos'.

 

It's been like this for me, every day, on every job

I've ever worked, for the last FIFTEEN YEARS. And

even though it's been mostly conservative fascists,

I've had my run-ins with smug liberal chickenshits

as well. When they've decided to hire me, that is.

Usually they haven't because I haven't dressed in

whatever trendroid uniform they thought was 'cool'

at the moment, or stated my opinions instead of

'the party line.'

 

Wouldn't it make more sense just to get away with

dealing with those kinds of people, who are so

ingrained in this mentality that no one is trust-

worthy, and if an honest person comes along they

can't be trusted or believed, and the only thing

left is THE SCAM?

 

Well I wish I had a happy ending but I don't. I

live two lives and I got a feeling that it's

gonna be this way for a hell of a lot longer.

When you KNOW they're wrong and you can't exactly

articulate how or why, you only know that it's

FUCKED!!

 

From saint@!bugger-off!prairienet.org Fri Jul 10 10:19:08 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Even Doktors Get The Blues

From: saint andreux <saint@!bugger-off!prairienet.org>

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:19:08 -0500

 

Steve Slack wrote:

 

> Now I ask you, if someone was breathing down

> your neck, ready to jump all over your ass for

> the slightest faux pas, could you function

> adequately at your job? I would wager a guess

> that you'd probably be so nervous all the time

> that you'd end up fucking up even worse!!

 

It's even worse when it's because your CO-WORKER

fucked things up.

 

Fucking humans.

 

I'll tell you all a little secret: MY HATE IS BACK TO FULL STEAM.

 

--

saint andreux --><-- SCIENTOLOGISTS CAN'T READ THIS POST

"the pervert is back!" FIND OUT WHY: www.xenu.net

www.prairienet.org/~saint/ MY NAME IS A BANNED PHRASE

 

 

 

From fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com Fri Jul 10 19:05:50 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Even Doktors Get The Blues

From: fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White)

Date: 11 Jul 1998 02:05:50 GMT

 

In article <6o5inb$lor@news9.noc.netcom.net>, saint@!bugger-off!prairienet.org says...

>

>Steve Slack wrote:

>

>> Now I ask you, if someone was breathing down

>> your neck, ready to jump all over your ass for

>> the slightest faux pas, could you function

>> adequately at your job? I would wager a guess

>> that you'd probably be so nervous all the time

>> that you'd end up fucking up even worse!!

 

Begin acting psychotic. Make them nervous, instead.

 

Worse, act angelic and tell them you'll pray for them.

They'll hate your guts but won't know how to respond.

 

> It's even worse when it's because your CO-WORKER

> fucked things up.

>

> Fucking humans.

 

Yeah, aren't we Norms great? If you didn't have us, who

could you blame?

 

> I'll tell you all a little secret: MY HATE IS BACK TO FULL STEAM.

 

How's your rage? One without the other is like one half of a

pair of shoes.

 

FW

 

 

From revjack@radix.net Fri Jul 10 11:59:08 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Even Doktors Get The Blues

From: Sketchy Albedo <revjack@radix.net>

Date: 10 Jul 1998 18:59:08 GMT

 

Previously, Steve Slack wrote:

 

:Will you permit me to cry on your shoulders

:about job shit for a moment?

 

Okay by me.

 

:Now I ask you, if someone was breathing down

:your neck, ready to jump all over your ass for

:the slightest faux pas, could you function

:adequately at your job? I would wager a guess

:that you'd probably be so nervous all the time

:that you'd end up fucking up even worse!!

 

You need to get out.

 

I did the same thing for 14 YEARS until I finally heeded the Word of

Dobbs:

 

SLACK OFF! QUIT YOUR JOB!

 

Of course, "Bob" never said anything about not getting a NEW job.

 

I'm not one of those people who can change jobs like changing hats. It's

very difficult, I hate it. But, eventually, there was no choice. Because,

need I remind you, The SubGenius Must Have Slack. Especially SubGs who

play guitar.

 

Steve, do you have habits?

 

You know, like eating a certain snack every day, or placing your beverage

on your desk in the same place, or drumming your fingers when you think,

things like that?

 

Well, it's time for you to develop a new habit. Your new habit will be,

"Scoping Out The Job Market".

 

That's all for now, whoah! That's a lot. Let's not drive this thing over

the cliff! Easy does it!

 

I'm talking about a habit. Just a small thing. Once a day, every day, feed

your new habit by, say, *glancing* at the want ads. JUST GLANCING. Have a

squint, then forget it for the rest of the day. NOTHING MORE. Integrate

this new habit into your daily routine.

 

Before too long, you will find that you will have an innate knowledge of

the job scene, and especially, how it relates to your present employment.

 

Then, when the time comes (and it will come), the decision will be easy. I

think you'll be surprised at the results.

 

You'll be happy again.

 

Do not set a time limit on results.

 

In the meantime, try to disengage yourself emotionally from the PinkThink

all around you. If you're a passionate person then this won't be easy, but

you have to do it - it's a matter of survival. It helps to think that you

are the only person on the planet with free will, and that everyone else

is just a wind-up automaton. Don't take my word for it - close srutiny

will bear this out.

 

They want you to perform some boneheaded circus-bear trick? FINE. Do the

trick, smile the smile, eat the fish, cash your paycheck. For you are

biding your time now.

 

Things to Remember:

 

* You are always free.

 

* Everyone loses everything in the end.

 

* There is no way to Slack; Slack is the Way.

 

* WRONG: "What do you want to do with your life?"

RIGHT: "What do you want to do with your life next?"

 

Start that habit, Steve. Pick up the paper this Sunday, scan the job ads,

then THROW IT AWAY - you're done for the day. Don't push it. Let your

hindbrain process it. Thus fortified, when the time comes, you'll know

what to do. I promise it, my friend.

 

RJ

--

_________________

revjack@radix.net

Consider different fading systems

 

From kevbob.AlLsPaM@ecsis.net Fri Jul 10 19:14:39 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Even Doktors Get The Blues

From: "kevbob" <kevbob.AlLsPaM@ecsis.net>

Date: 11 Jul 1998 02:14:39 GMT

 

Sketchy Albedo <revjack@radix.net> wrote in article

<6o5o9s$e91$1@news1.Radix.Net>...

> Previously, Steve Slack wrote:

> :Will you permit me to cry on your shoulders

> :about job shit for a moment?

>

> Okay by me.

 

 

steve-o,

 

i considered responding with some ill-gotten advice, and then i saw

revjack's, and then i realized, there is someone with a clue.

 

job's suck,

 

but we need the money.

 

if they are so looking for someone to butt-rape,

then,

 

well,

 

fuck 'em.

 

there are plenty of asswipes in the world at the moment much better suited

at being a whipping boy than you are.

 

just don't let the bastards get you down, eh?

 

 

--

"i can see the middle,

but now,

now it all seems so,

so,

i dunno."

 

From $toxiccow@mind$pring.com Fri Jul 10 23:24:41 1998

Newsgroups: alt.slack

Subject: Re: Even Doktors Get The Blues

From: $toxiccow@mind$pring.com (Sister Pammy of the Soil)

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 06:24:41 GMT

 

Sketchy Albedo <revjack@radix.net> wrote:

 

>Previously, Steve Slack wrote:

>

snip

 

>

>SLACK OFF! QUIT YOUR JOB!

>

>Of course, "Bob" never said anything about not getting a NEW job.

>

>I'm not one of those people who can change jobs like changing hats. It's

>very difficult, I hate it. But, eventually, there was no choice. Because,

>need I remind you, The SubGenius Must Have Slack. Especially SubGs who

>play guitar.

>

>Steve, do you have habits?

>

>You know, like eating a certain snack every day, or placing your beverage

>on your desk in the same place, or drumming your fingers when you think,

>things like that?

>

>Well, it's time for you to develop a new habit. Your new habit will be,

>"Scoping Out The Job Market".

>

>That's all for now, whoah! That's a lot. Let's not drive this thing over

>the cliff! Easy does it!

>

>I'm talking about a habit. Just a small thing. Once a day, every day, feed

>your new habit by, say, *glancing* at the want ads. JUST GLANCING. Have a

>squint, then forget it for the rest of the day. NOTHING MORE. Integrate

>this new habit into your daily routine.

>

>Before too long, you will find that you will have an innate knowledge of

>the job scene, and especially, how it relates to your present employment.

>

>Then, when the time comes (and it will come), the decision will be easy. I

>think you'll be surprised at the results.

>

>You'll be happy again.

>

>Do not set a time limit on results.

>

>In the meantime, try to disengage yourself emotionally from the PinkThink

>all around you. If you're a passionate person then this won't be easy, but

>you have to do it - it's a matter of survival. It helps to think that you

>are the only person on the planet with free will, and that everyone else

>is just a wind-up automaton. Don't take my word for it - close srutiny

>will bear this out.

>

>They want you to perform some boneheaded circus-bear trick? FINE. Do the

>trick, smile the smile, eat the fish, cash your paycheck. For you are

>biding your time now.

>

>Things to Remember:

>

>* You are always free.

>

>* Everyone loses everything in the end.

>

>* There is no way to Slack; Slack is the Way.

>

>* WRONG: "What do you want to do with your life?"

> RIGHT: "What do you want to do with your life next?"

>

>Start that habit, Steve. Pick up the paper this Sunday, scan the job ads,

>then THROW IT AWAY - you're done for the day. Don't push it. Let your

>hindbrain process it. Thus fortified, when the time comes, you'll know

>what to do. I promise it, my friend.

 

 

Rev Jack, Rev Jack, this is all too brilliant! Steve, at the risk of

sounding like you-know-who, I'll add that every time you let them do

that to you, you are giving them their sanction to continue operating

in the world. You'd be wasting your breath trying to make them change,

but consider what you're supporting by continuing to work for them.

Sketchy is absolutely damn right--slack off! Quit your job! BUT! Read

your words again and consider: EVERY JOB YOU'VE HAD FOR THE PAST

FIFTEEN YEARS HAS BEEN LIKE THIS. Isn't it time, given your

experiences, that you think about self-employment? A professional

window-washing business, with you as sole owner and squigee operator,

probably contains more slack than your present life. What could you

do, think large now, what could you do to earn a living that didn't

involve having a boss? There are still government bullshit tax and

employer hassles, more than you can imagine, but it pales compared to

having to eat shit every day at the whim of a tyrannical boss. It's

your LIFE, dude! Not to put the pressure on or anything, but if you

aren't waging war for your own slack, no one else will.

 

Sister Pammy of the Soil